Monday, May 25, 2009

Darling Harbour and the Sydney Aquarium

Wowzers! The aquarium was phenomenal. I was able to literally look up at sharks and dugongs, huge manta rays and giant sucker fish, and was able to see a real live platypus. The animals themselves were amazing and awe inspiring. I was also able to see a show where they fed a 21 year old female, salt-water, crocodile rats from the end of a grandma-style, "I can't reach it" stick. They opened a crack and the croc sank deeper in to the water. They opened the door fully and the croc charged out of the water. Fortunately the worker had a shield, like the ones the riot-police have, made of plexi-glass and two handles. This wasn't this guy's first rodeo if you know what I mean. He was looking away and the croc lunged for his face. He didn't even flinch! He just raised the shield a little further and continued on like nothing had happened. After they explained a little about the crocs, a girl came out with the rats and the croc must have done a straight up +6 foot leap to get it.(no big deal)

The sharks were also the bomb-diggity. They must have been over 7.5 feet long and were massively round. The biggest ones could have definitely eaten a small child without making smaller "pieces" if you will.(I will) They weren't even great whites! They were "just" grey nurses...whatever. They're ok I guess.

Gotta shoot off, dinner is almost ready...we're making food tonight. We'll finally see what kind of cook Lace is! :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm jealous, I miss Sydney so much. Take the ferry to Manly and say "hi" to my castle for me... also, you should check out the Blue Mountains. Definitely worth the trip :)

    ReplyDelete