Friday, July 24, 2009

I've given up being a wayward cowboy and am now on to become a beach bum. My hair is growing and I believe at the minimum length required to step foot on a beach in North Australia. I plan to attack Cairns, pronounced Care-nz not Canes despite the Australian's inability to pronouce the letter 'R', with the force of the North and leave them wondering how a country boy from North Dakota could possibly be such a natural at SCUBA diving. My one concern is what will happen to my face when I get a tan with a goatee and then shave it off when I get back to America. Look for one of the strangest "farmers tans" to come out of Australia in the last decade soon.

I am currently staying with some friends of the family, Kathryn and Frank, of Toowoomba. They are beautiful people and have welcomed me with open arms. While here I've visited a Japanese Garden and been to the Cobb and Co. Museum. Today after my visit to the home of horse and buggies that is the museum, I had my first Lamington and my first Double Sasperilla softdrink. After drinking that black licorice in a bottle I travelled to the post office and discovered that to send less than one Kg of stuff consisting of two books, a cd of pictures, and a computer lock home it will cost me 23 dollars and change. I opted to send that stuff and leave a chain, some velcro, and a poncho here. Leaving the stuff you don't want is a good way to thank you right? I've discovered that Toowoomba is a large place. It is my belief that I've done more walking in these two days than in all of my time spent as a bull chaser/feeder. It is, fortunately, more flat. Appreciate life's little blessings I suppose.

Finally, it was brought to my attention today that this neat little idea of taking pictures with a cowboy figurine might have taken a turn for the pathetic. I was struck with the problem of explaining how it was that I took pictures in one of those frames where all you see is your face and some other body today as Bully and I switched 'bodies'. I realized that the picture of me setting up the camera to delay the shot and then rushing behind the wooden cutout with a ceramic figurine like some lunatic with an imaginary friend might just cause some people to pause. Thankfully those who witnessed the debacle went on their way with no comment. I have no doubt, however, that I was the topic of people's conversation this afternoon. Maybe not for long, but I definitely made the the discussion board and that is something to cherish.

Think about the last time you know strangers talked about you in an odd way and smile because it didn't hurt you any and it brightened someone else's day. Wish me luck down under in down under as I learn to breath canned air. Cheers!

ps: I found my fingerless gloves. Thanks for worrying...

3 comments:

  1. Nick, I do know what you mean, I am perdy certain that I have been a strangers topic of discussion more than once! Hope all is well and the Kangaroo's are feisty!


    Bucks

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha self timer...I am once again, so proud!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nick - looks like you landed on your feet after finishing your Jackaroo adventure. Keep smiling - that cute face of yours will charm anyone into giving you whatever you need. xoxo

    ReplyDelete